Sunday, April 27, 2008

Peanut Butter & Jam Bars


Hey everyone! I've taken a break from my train ride to crazytown to update my blog. Hope everyone is doing (and eating) well.
I can't decide how I feel about these. They're rich, to be sure, but I can't decide if I'm eating a dessert or a really rich peanut butter sandwich. That didn't stop me from eating about five, and they're great with a glass of cold milk.

Peanut Butter & Jam Bars

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 lg. eggs
2 c. creamy peanut butter
3 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/2 c. raspberry jam (or your preference)
2/3 c. salted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add vanilla, eggs, and peanut butter and mix until well combined. Stir in dry ingredients.
Spread two thirds mixture in the prepared pan. Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Drop small globs of the remaining dough evenly over the jam. Don't worry if all the jam isn't covered; the dough will spread when it bakes. Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and bake 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
One note about the jam. I couldn't bring myself to dump an entire 12 oz jar of jam in the pan, so I only used about 1 cup. Carrie taste-tested these and thought they could've used more of the "goo factor", so next time I'll close my eyes and add all of the jam.

11 comments:

Amy said...

I love PB&Jelly sandwiches with a big glass of milk. I will have to try this recipe. I love when you post your creations! You are my culinary idol!!

Toni said...

You should not post things like this considering my current state! Now, you know I am going to need to make these and I will probably eat the entire pan! Looks tasty!

Carrie said...

I can vouch for the happy taste buds on this dessert! It's true though, add all the jam, even if it looks too gooey because the jam counteracts the richness of the peanut butter. Oh man, now I'm salivating....

Holly Strong said...

Tanner LOVES peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I should try to find the time to make this. I love all your recipes. Hopefully when I move I can start cooking again.

Amy said...

Last night around 11pm I decided I was going to try out this recipe. They are very good! I put all of the jam in.

Ginger said...

ooo I think my kids will like those. I will let you know.

Amy said...

CATHY! You guys can't move!!

jonibologna said...

I have no idea who you are but I have to tell you that this blog is one of the funnest and most interesting blogs I have ever read!If your food is half as good as your writing (based upon what I've seen it's better) then Emeril watch out! Good luck with all your future culinary endeavors and keep up the good work!

cathy said...

Wow, that's such a kind thing to say. Thanks!

Jill said...

Ok cathy,

it's time to update...You have so much going on! I need to stay in touch!

Amy said...

Cathy I know you must be busy but once you get a chance you need to update your blog. We miss you guys. Hope all is well in your new home.