Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Flatbread Sandwiches with Grilled Chicken and Avocado Cucumber Salad


I've decided to pretend it's summer, and least when it comes to this meal preparation. I'm all about eating seasonally, but after weeks of cold, depressing weather I needed something to eat that reminds me of summer. I wish I could say I made the flatbread, but I didn't. 

The chicken isn't "grilled", either - just IQF chicken breasts seasoned and pan fried. (I wasn't in the mood to scrape snow off the barbecue. How I wish I had one of those fancy stoves with a built-in grill and griddle.) The best part, I think, is the salad and greek tzatziki sauce. These would also be good with some spinach and feta cheese.


Avocado Cucumber Salad
1/2 English cucumber
1 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 red onion, diced
1 T. fresh tarragon
1 t. grated lemon zest
freshly sqeezed lemon juice (1-2 T.)
1/2 t. kosher salt
pinch cayenne pepper
1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled and diced.

Toss cucumber, tomatoes, onion, tarragon, lemon zest and juice, salt, and cayene pepper in a serving bowl. Toss in avocado. (Note: I didn't have tarragon so I didn't use it. But I did have bacon!)



Tzatziki Sauce
2 c. thick Greek yogurt
3 to 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped (to taste)
1/2 c. diced or grated cucumber
1 T. olive oil
1 T. lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
chopped mint or dill, optional

Oh, and don't forget the sweet potato fries. They go with everything!

No comments: