Sunday, August 29, 2010

Scrollin, scrollin, scrollin...

You know when someone asks you to do something, and because your kind and accomodating, you're like, "Sure!", and then a month later you find you and your hot kitchen covered in melted dark chocolate, surrounded by 3 kinds of buttercream, two fillings, four kinds of cake, three batches of fondant and you wonder, as the Talking Heads infamously did, "How did I get here?".

That happened to me this week. My cousin Becky got married on Friday and I was thrilled when she asked me to make her wedding cake. A three-tier Italian buttercream-covered chocolate scroll-lined cake. Nevermind I'd never done chocolate scrolls. And then, another cousin's friend asks you to make a purse cake, which is, again, so great but you don't immediate realize that they need to be picked up a day apart.

Well, the Week of the Chocolate Scroll is finally over, and I'm proud to say I didn't break down and purchase these but rather perservered and made about 180 of these bad boys for my cousin Becky's wedding cake. Which, in short, was no easy task given the August heat and dearth of information on how to make them. But I did it, and am disturbingly proud of myself for figuring it out.

Also finished the purse cake in the nick of time. Funny, if somewould would have asked me five years ago if I'd be making pink and black zebra printed purse cakes I'd tell them they were crazy. What a ride.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

OH my word Cathy, those scrolls look PERFECT! I'm so glad your stressful cake week is over! You've earned a pedicure for sure. Let's go!!!!

Jessica said...

You are seriously amazing. I would never have the gumption to try that! You go girl!

amanda said...

the cakes look gorgeous! awesome job. let's get you a website and a bona fide business going. you could start writing off kitchen appliances and ingredients! fun!

Cheryl said...

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you do a cake. I played with them a bit in High School, but not since. I am feeling the bug bite again(ouch). Fondant has always captured my interest.
I guess now that I am making awesome pizza crust I can afford to play in another area.