Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Focaccia redux


After making the focaccia featured in a previous post several times, I thought it would be a good time to compare similar recipes. In an attempt to put my too-large baking book collection to good use, I'll often compare recipes side-by-side and make a couple of versions to see which I like best, or how I can improve on the original. Martha's focaccia was easy to make and delicious, but I was ready for something different. The Tender Focaccia from King Arthur Flour's Baking Companion was next on my list. It contained non-traditional ingredients like potato flakes and powdered milk (possibly a minus) but also utilized an overnight rest for the dough (always a plus).
The finished bread was tender as promised (a result of the potato and milk powder) and had a more complex flavor than Martha's. But it didn't have that nice, chewy crust. This would be a perfect bread for sandwiches, though.

No comments: