Thursday, April 9, 2009

Soup for The Day After


Yesterday I had one of those days. It began happily enough, with a relief that I didn't have a jam-packed schedule. Sadly, it unraveled in one of those days where I didn't shower until 4:00 and ate almost everything that wasn't bolted down. Without divulging quantities, the day's menu consisted of bread, chocolate, chicken nuggets, diet coke, chocolate, crackers, toast, olives, and chocolate. After "dinner" I'd had enough and decided to run down to Sunflower Market to take advantage of double-ad Wednesdays and find something to fix my anticipated chocolate hangover.

I filled that cart with some amazing fruit and produce. I couldn't stop! 88-cent/pint blackberries. Pink grapefruit 4/$1. Eggplant, garnet yams, spinach, apples, mushrooms, kiwis, lemons, zucchini, onions, garlic, some beautiful little red potatoes.
I've been reading Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way, and he has a recipe for "instant vegetable soup". This is my take. Make it your own.


Mormon Hangover Soup
1. Saute a chopped onion and a minced clove of garlic in a little oil and/or butter. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Meanwhile, chop your vegetables and add them to to pot, adding the longer-cooking vegetables first. (Some people just add vegetables to water to broth and boil them, but I like to give some of the vegetables a quick saute first, especially the onions and garlic.
3. I added carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash.

4. And some water and chicken broth, enough to cover everything. Bring to a boil.

5. I blanched a whole tomato in the broth so I could peel the skin off, give it a fine chop, and add it back into the soup.

6. Simmer until vegetables until tender, checking and adding seasoning as you go. I added a dash of soy for depth and a good pinch of cayenne and black pepper.

At the last minute, add a handful of fresh baby spinach. Top with some shredded cheese and more pepper. This would also be good with fresh pesto or croutons.

Eat two bowls and feel instantly and entirely forgiven for the previous day's indiscretions.

No comments: