Sunday, September 2, 2007

What a Tart


The temperature dipped today to a mild 90 degrees. Perfect tart-making weather, I say. With our swamp cooler whirring away, I quickly made the pastry and chucked it in the fridge. The tart also calls for roasted garlic so I got to crank on the oven and roast my very first head of garlic.


Because my new Ikea tart pan was a bit larger that the called-for 10 inches, I doubled the pastry recipe and made a little apple tart with the leftover pastry scraps. Now that's what I call dinner: pie for a main course; pie for dessert. Oh, and a salad. What with all the tarts in the kitchen today, there were a few "tarty" comments from Ed. And let's just leave it at that.


A note about the pastry: the recipe called for 1 c. unsalted butter, but I swapped out 2-3 T. of the butter for shortening. On of the squares of butter was frozen and chopped, the other was just cold from the fridge, and of course the shortening was room temp. Perhaps I was overthinking a bit, but I wanted to see if using part frozen butter would preserve the pieces in the dough, especially in my hot kitchen. I think it worked.

No comments: