Sunday, September 2, 2007

You Say Tomato...


I say what the heck am I going to do with all of these. What was once a highly-anticipated event, I'm now experiencing a bit of tomato fatigue. The first week they ripened, we gleefully scarffed BLTs, tomato salads, and, my favorite, tomatoes with cottage cheese and lots of pepper. Now that they're ripening in earnest, I'm struggling to keep up. Let's call the whole thing off, I say.

This year I branched out a little and planted some heirloom varieties, including Zebra Stripe, Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Abe Lincoln, and Pinapple. It's been fun to taste new flavors, although I haven't decided what's my favorite. The Zebra Stripe are pretty acidic. The Abe Lincolns are rather sweet. The Brandywines have a rich taste, and get overripe quickly on my countertop.

I've been wanting to make the tomato tart from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook, but these last two weeks of August have been so hot I can't bear to turn on the oven. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Laura Chamberlain said...

I know, heirloom Gazpacho. Cold soup for hot days.

Holly Strong said...

You can always bring some to my house....we LOVE tomatoes!!!!!